Friday, December 2, 2011

Interspecies Understandings Powerpoint Exhibit

Creating this exhibit was a little harder than I was expecting. I divided up my exhibit into four parts, beginning with a human-animal relationship where humans attempt to dominate and exact war on animals, then a relationship where humans simply use animals for their own gain, then where humans care for animals as pets, and finally a more equal relationship where humans actually see themselves in animals.

I had the most trouble trying to figure out how to relate all of my chosen artworks together through the elements and principles of design. I hope that we didn't have to do that too much, because my artworks vary quite a bit, though I tried to make them flow together and place similar ones next to each other. They definitely have a lot more in common through theme than elements and principles of design.

When choosing the artworks, I seemed to work background. The last part of my exhibit were the artworks I chose first, because that was the part I was interested in the most, and what I was already the most familiar with. I hope that my theme doesn't come off as too crazy sounding, or offensive to anybody. I just find it interesting how human-animal relationships have evolved over the years--not that it's been completely linear. I wanted to include cave paintings in my powerpoint, which would show how long humans have been having meaningful relationships with animals, but then I realized that this would probably not make sense, as I would not be able to drag cave paintings into a real, physical exhibit.

My artworks went from being by mostly men to being by mostly women. I'm sure there are more examples out there of men relating to animals on a profound level, but I was having difficulty finding any. Also, I was interested in exploring the unique connection women have with animals through the experiences they both share. For my powerpoint, I gave the slides a fur-textured background, invoking the idea of animals. I almost switched the styles between my four sections, but then thought that maybe it was better to keep them unified. I chose a font for the titles that was both a little fancy and a little loose looking, which was meant to represent the unification and merging of human and animal worlds. I hope people enjoy it, or let me know how to improve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment